A question of Alchemy.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

A question of Alchemy.

Post by Talibah on 14.07.09 2:47

Studying the occult, particularly Asetianism, has taken me in many different directions over the years, and at the moment I find myself delving into the realms of Alchemy again.

In ancient times, the belief was that the sun plunged into the core of the Earth sowing the 'seed' of the metals. It was believed that the Earth effectively 'bred' metals, and over time and through various stages, these metals developed into gold.
Those that knew how to take mineral ores and smelt them in furnaces to produce metals were highly venerated, and were often placed in positions of status above ordinary men, as being closer to God.

It was a common thought that if one could become god-like, they would gain the power to transmute metal into gold, as it is done within the Earth itself.

This belief is expressed on the Emerald Tablet, a record said to have been written by the God Thoth Himself. The Tablet appears to have a set of mystical instructions on how to manufacture gold by the process of transmutation.
However, it can also, and was, interpreted on another level as a guide referring to Self-purification and liberation of the Divine aspect of the alchemist's nature from the mundane, in an attempt to become like God, giving rise to the phrase still used today, 'as above, so below'.

I could go on to mention Chinese Alchemy - namely Tao - but for now I would like to hear others thoughts on this.
Talibah
Insider
Insider

Number of posts : 287
Registration date : 2008-08-17

Back to top Go down

Re: A question of Alchemy.

Post by Jonathan on 14.07.09 9:48

I was under the impression that the Chinese word Tao/Dao, as in Taoism, literally meant "path". Never heard of it being translated to Alchemy. Why do you describe it that way, Talibah?
I am aware of the connection between Chinese Alchemy and Toaism, though, particularly when it comes to inner Alchemy and personal transformation found in the ancient Taoist philosophy from Chine, maybe even Asetian-driven at its roots.
Jonathan
Master
Master

Number of posts : 2218
Registration date : 2008-06-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Talibah on 14.07.09 10:06

At the lower levels, Taoist practise is concerned with the delicate mixing of yin and yang, - the feminine and masculine energies respectively - this is believed to be a means of prolonging life, and is achieved through controlled sexual intercourse. More advanced methods include a kind of 'distillation' of yang within the body through meditative procedures. These practises were commonly known as 'sexual alchemy'.
It was to this that I was referring.
Talibah
Insider
Insider

Number of posts : 287
Registration date : 2008-08-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Ankhhape on 14.07.09 10:32

Taoism makes great use of al-kemia, but in the same way the Aset Ka do, in a spiritual way not the allegorical metallurgy way.

Tao can be translated to 'way' not path really but in essence the Tao that can be named is not the true Tao.
Ankhhape
Banned

Number of posts : 387
Registration date : 2008-06-06

Back to top Go down

Post by George Gosdas on 04.01.17 10:28

Becoming a god by Ascending through the elements,liberating the two (As above,So below) and transforming the self and the soul does offer the invidual the black flame of consiousness but surelly does not give one the power to turn things into gold.

George Gosdas
Insider
Insider

Number of posts : 163
Registration date : 2016-11-17

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum