ElizabethBathory
Aeturnum
Victor
Azrael
8 posters

Go down

Immortality Empty Immortality

Post by Aeturnum 24.11.09 18:11

I had a question about immortality. I understand that the Asetian concept of immortality involves the soul, but what about immortality of the body (i.e. cryonics, mummification, DNA preservation)?

Aeturnum
Beginner
Beginner

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2009-11-24

Back to top Go down

Immortality Empty Re: Immortality

Post by ElizabethBathory 25.11.09 3:20

The body, or at least the way people see someone, is affected by the soul, so I imagine you would really age slower physically. I know I am often told I look way younger than I really am.
ElizabethBathory
ElizabethBathory
Banned

Number of posts : 130
Registration date : 2009-11-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Azrael 25.11.09 16:52

If that is you, you look beautiful... the soul does manifest into the physical body... But I do not know if you can prolong the life of the body for hundreds of years... Through healthy diets and spiritual exercise... Through science, i do not know... but i wouldn't want to live in one body forever...
Azrael
Azrael
Insider
Insider

Number of posts : 115
Registration date : 2009-07-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Aeturnum 25.11.09 19:42

Why wouldn't you want to live forever in your current body? I mean, I've had a lot of bad experiences, but I've also had a lot of good experiences and I think it'd be a good thing to be able to live forever and continue experiencing life with everything that you know. As far as reincarnation goes, once you die and are reborn into another body, you have to start over, relearning everything you learned in a past life. It would be much easier to live an unbroken life continuing to live with the knowledge that you've already gained.

Aeturnum
Beginner
Beginner

Back to top Go down

Post by Victor 25.11.09 20:10

You would not really learn the same lessons, if you could life forever under that same physical body. The bitterness of mortality makes you value life experiences in a totally different way, and that's what holds the secret behind reincarnation. If you were sure that you would live forever, in that same body, then you would simply not care for your own mistakes and bad turns in life, since you would take everything for granted. But nothing is for granted in this life...
Victor
Victor
Adept
Adept

Number of posts : 573
Registration date : 2008-06-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Aeturnum 25.11.09 20:19

For me mortality doen't make me cherish the experience of life, it stains them with worry that one day I will die and never be able to exprience again. If one lived for centuries I'm sure they'd eventually come around to learning all of the lessons of life. Lol.

Aeturnum
Beginner
Beginner

Back to top Go down

Post by ElizabethBathory 25.11.09 20:50

Aeturnum wrote:Why wouldn't you want to live forever in your current body? I mean, I've had a lot of bad experiences, but I've also had a lot of good experiences and I think it'd be a good thing to be able to live forever and continue experiencing life with everything that you know. As far as reincarnation goes, once you die and are reborn into another body, you have to start over, relearning everything you learned in a past life. It would be much easier to live an unbroken life continuing to live with the knowledge that you've already gained.

You're right. I wish I could live in one body forever, but just not enslaved on earth. I am so young and inexperienced in this world, but at the core, I am sooooooooo old and exhausted with boring, repetitive life. It will never end........
ElizabethBathory
ElizabethBathory
Banned

Number of posts : 130
Registration date : 2009-11-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan 26.11.09 8:27

Aeturnum wrote:For me mortality doen't make me cherish the experience of life, it stains them with worry that one day I will die and never be able to exprience again. If one lived for centuries I'm sure they'd eventually come around to learning all of the lessons of life. Lol.
That's what you think... but not really how things are. I agree with Victor, you may think you would value your immortality, but the feeling alone of knowing that there is no end or death would give you an ego and arrogance that would not enhance your evolution. It's quite of a basic principle, and why universal laws exist. The world and nature are not as imperfect as you might think...
Jonathan
Jonathan
Master
Master

Number of posts : 3028
Registration date : 2008-06-05

Back to top Go down

Post by godofbattle 27.11.09 8:35

I agree with you victor and johnathan. However I think that when you start over whatever memories you have stay with. the good memories aren't the hasel. It's the bad ones and dealing with being unawaked and then the confussion of awakening.
godofbattle
godofbattle
Insider
Insider

Number of posts : 184
Registration date : 2009-08-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel09 28.11.09 21:19

Yes, I believe that living forever in one body would prove to be unhelpful. When one is advancing themselves, there is a point in every life when one has reached their "limit" of experiences. It can be based off their physical appearance, their situation, etc. But some things simply cannot be experienced and learned from spiritually without death and rebirth. Sure, it's harder to remember things after you die, but that only makes things more interesting. It's like life is a fantastic game of hide and go seek, except you're the one hiding from yourself, in plain sight.
Daniel09
Daniel09
Expert
Expert

Number of posts : 850
Registration date : 2009-01-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Phoenix 28.11.09 21:37

If one assumes that immortality is inherent to the soul, then the physical body is of no real concern. If one assumes they have only one life to live. . . then concern about the physical body is much more important.
Phoenix
Phoenix
Insider
Insider

Number of posts : 197
Registration date : 2009-03-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down