the Book of Gates and the Book of Am-Tuat

4 posters

Go down

the Book of Gates and the Book of Am-Tuat Empty the Book of Gates and the Book of Am-Tuat

Post by Syrianeh 17.09.10 4:45

I am presently reading a fascinating book: "The Egyptian Heaven and Hell" by E.A. Wallis Budge. In it, he mentions two books that describe the Underworld for the deceased and maps it out for them as a guide in their passage to the afterlife. These books are called "The Book of Gates" and "The Book of Am-Tuat". Both are very similar in that they speak of different divisions, each with different characteristics and presiding Gods.

However, there is a big difference in both : the Book of Gates describes the Underworld as the kingdom of Osiris, and the Am-Tuat describes it as the kingdom of the God Sun Ra. By following the indications in the first book, the decesased would end up in Osiris' realm. By following the second book, the destination would be Ra's Holy Barge.

There is a transcript here:

http://www.sacred-texts.com/egy/gate/index.htm

Now, what caught my attention is that the Book of Am Tuat is found on royal tombs up until the 19th dynasty; after that, in the 19th Dynasty we find the Book of Gates - one of the first tombs to show it is that of Horemheb, the general that reigned as Pharaoh after King Tuthankhamun - who has been discussed in previous threads as possibly being related to the Asetians. In King Tut's tomb, extensive excerpts from the Book of the Dead were found, and these were later - apparently - used for the Book of Gates (a shorter version).

I might be wrong, but I think I have seen a pattern here, that is: two opposing schools of thought -afterlife being the Realm of the Sun God and the Realm of Osiris - alternating at different times during Egyptian rule. And, yes, they seem to coincide with the rise and fall of the Asetian kingdom and its temporary overtake by the Sethians, only to reappear again.

My point is that, according to this pattern, there would be a very differing view on the essence of the Afterlife depending on what Gods were ruling.

And that, well, the most interesting detail to be seen here, is the actual signs and clues left behind by these texts of an ongoing struggle between both Orders. At least, that's how I interpret it.

Syrianeh
Syrianeh
Expert
Expert

Number of posts : 708
Registration date : 2008-09-16

Back to top Go down

the Book of Gates and the Book of Am-Tuat Empty Re: the Book of Gates and the Book of Am-Tuat

Post by Jonathan 17.09.10 7:14

Interesting post Syrianeh. I have similar thoughts and views like the ones you explained. I personally find it fascinating to find and interpret those signs and clues...

Feels like putting pieces of a lost puzzle together. Smile
Jonathan
Jonathan
Master
Master

Number of posts : 3028
Registration date : 2008-06-05

Back to top Go down

the Book of Gates and the Book of Am-Tuat Empty Re: the Book of Gates and the Book of Am-Tuat

Post by Divine 277 22.09.10 10:29

Syrianeh wrote:I am presently reading a fascinating book: "The Egyptian Heaven and Hell" by E.A. Wallis Budge. In it, he mentions two books that describe the Underworld for the deceased and maps it out for them as a guide in their passage to the afterlife. These books are called "The Book of Gates" and "The Book of Am-Tuat". Both are very similar in that they speak of different divisions, each with different characteristics and presiding Gods.

However, there is a big difference in both : the Book of Gates describes the Underworld as the kingdom of Osiris, and the Am-Tuat describes it as the kingdom of the God Sun Ra. By following the indications in the first book, the decesased would end up in Osiris' realm. By following the second book, the destination would be Ra's Holy Barge.

There is a transcript here:

http://www.sacred-texts.com/egy/gate/index.htm

Now, what caught my attention is that the Book of Am Tuat is found on royal tombs up until the 19th dynasty; after that, in the 19th Dynasty we find the Book of Gates - one of the first tombs to show it is that of Horemheb, the general that reigned as Pharaoh after King Tuthankhamun - who has been discussed in previous threads as possibly being related to the Asetians. In King Tut's tomb, extensive excerpts from the Book of the Dead were found, and these were later - apparently - used for the Book of Gates (a shorter version).

I might be wrong, but I think I have seen a pattern here, that is: two opposing schools of thought -afterlife being the Realm of the Sun God and the Realm of Osiris - alternating at different times during Egyptian rule. And, yes, they seem to coincide with the rise and fall of the Asetian kingdom and its temporary overtake by the Sethians, only to reappear again.

My point is that, according to this pattern, there would be a very differing view on the essence of the Afterlife depending on what Gods were ruling.

And that, well, the most interesting detail to be seen here, is the actual signs and clues left behind by these texts of an ongoing struggle between both Orders. At least, that's how I interpret it.

That one of the reasons I have asked in other post witch dynasty ( time line ) someone was referring to.

Any way It has also come to my a tension the vireos gods in ancient Egypt also tend to switch wives , threw the different dynasties ....
I have also found some clues to the 2 creation myths that is also a bit controversy...

Sincerely Divine 277
Divine 277
Divine 277
Expert
Expert

Number of posts : 1003
Registration date : 2010-03-01

https://www.facebook.com/academyofancientknowlege/?fref=ts

Back to top Go down

Post by Elle Sium 18.05.22 20:36

I am gathering that the realms or dimensions of the afterlife were a power struggle between whom were the controllers, Osiris, Ra or Set during the times.
This is reminiscent of the power struggles that still happen today. I contend that the true Creator of the afterlife would allow different dieties to rule during different time periods because it caused differences that needed to be sorted out within it's dynamics. As the Pharaoh took political power then his diety would be the chosen diety for the people. When the Pharaoh is succeeded than a new Pharaoh with new dieties would take control. This change is hierarchy would rebirth new rites, new philosophies, new laws, and add to the huge repertoire of Kemetic knowledge.

Elle Sium
Beginner
Beginner

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2022-05-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down