Ankh and the Feminine (Venus) Symbol

3 posters

Go down

Ankh and the Feminine (Venus) Symbol Empty Ankh and the Feminine (Venus) Symbol

Post by Aghrab 27.09.08 5:39

A few days ago I was approached by a lady, who began to question and comment on the pendent that I wore on that day, being an Ankh pendent, however she kept repeating "the symbol of woman", "the feminine symbol", which sent me to explain to her that this is the ancient Egyptian symbol of Life, Ankh, Eternal Life, and has nothing to do with the feminine symbol, or the symbol of the planet Venus.

Later on that day I realized why she would say such a thing, and compare the Ankh to the symbol of Venus, the symbol of woman. The symbol of Venus is highly similar to the Ankh symbol: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/23/Female.svg/136px-Female.svg.png

This sent me to question why... and I would appreciate some comment and opinions on this. As it was said in the Asetian Bible, the symbol of Ankh is one of the most sacred symbols to the Asetians, being the symbol also for the Crown Shen, with the "Connection to the Divine". As we all know, within the Order of Aset Ka, woman have a lot of power. They are very strong pillars within the Aset Ka, and powers of the AK is pretty much around woman. Would you not think, that maybe the symbol of woman (and also symbol of Venus), is somewhat connected to the Aset Ka, ad the Ankh? This would make sense, if you think of Aset Herself, and Her being a Goddess with so much Power...

Aghrab
Aghrab
Aghrab
Adept
Adept

Number of posts : 492
Registration date : 2008-06-06

Back to top Go down

Ankh and the Feminine (Venus) Symbol Empty Re: Ankh and the Feminine (Venus) Symbol

Post by Hellen 27.09.08 10:30

The woman you met probably knew the most common symbol of female gender in biology or maybe symbol of Venus in astrology.
The symbol was used also in Alchemy for copper.
Symbols many times change their meanings or are misunderstood during ages so
to speak for myself I believe in a very strong connection between Ankh and Life principle in the Universe and strongly related with the Feminine principle .
I don't believe that Ankh at origins was male + female as seen in some theories ( the circle being female genitals , while cross is phallic ) , and when i say this i am thinking of Egyptian but also prehistoric traditions where woman alone was considered at origins he giver of life.
In the use of this symbol through ages I find interesting the Hieroglyphic Monad of John Dee originally designed by Athanasius Kircher ( a pioneer of egyptology ) a composite vision of the unity of the Cosmos using astrological and esoteric symbols , where the symbol is the central structure of the Monad
It reminds me of Isis with the solar disk and horns on her head as well as of the messenger of gods in astrology ,the ruler of communication both conscious and unconscious.
Hellen
Hellen
Insider
Insider

Number of posts : 169
Registration date : 2008-08-22

Back to top Go down

Ankh and the Feminine (Venus) Symbol Empty Re: Ankh and the Feminine (Venus) Symbol

Post by Aghrab 27.09.08 10:50

Hellen wrote:It reminds me of Isis with the solar disk and horns on her head as well as of the messenger of gods in astrology ,the ruler of communication both conscious and unconscious.

It is interesting to know this.

Many cultures, such as Christianity for example, have taken symbols of Ancient Egypt, so it lead me to think maybe in this particular case it may have been also connected and could root back to Egyptian symbolism and the Ankh symbol.

Aghrab
Aghrab
Aghrab
Adept
Adept

Number of posts : 492
Registration date : 2008-06-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellen 27.09.08 11:31

I think it does if we consider liniarity of time .
But if we consider time not being liniar , as I do ,it also points to the same concept !
An this is the true miracle in it .
Hellen
Hellen
Insider
Insider

Number of posts : 169
Registration date : 2008-08-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Victor 29.09.08 5:50

Nice post and great connection, Aghrab. I have no idea if that makes any sense according to modern historians or science, but to me, in a personal way, makes full sense and I can fully agree with your theory. It is not hard to imagine the Feminine Symbol to have developed from the Ankh, especially due to the huge importance it was given to it in the ancient world and being Women and the feminine energies such a main powerful force in the Aset Ka. Even both symbols have a similar energy to my understanding, although the Ankh is far more powerful, deep and life-changing.
Victor
Victor
Adept
Adept

Number of posts : 573
Registration date : 2008-06-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down