Video: The Vampire Community: History and Context

+3
Hioman
Kate
Hierophant
7 posters

Go down

Video: The Vampire Community: History and Context  Empty Video: The Vampire Community: History and Context

Post by Hierophant 09.09.11 3:12

A video from Michelle Belanger about how a lot of the community started.
I found the stuff at the end about Role Playing interesting.

https://youtu.be/f0pqpemq4jE

lol!

Hierophant
Outsider
Outsider

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2011-05-12

Back to top Go down

Video: The Vampire Community: History and Context  Empty Re: Video: The Vampire Community: History and Context

Post by Jonathan 09.09.11 9:30

Oh yes, the Vampire Masquerade people. Very Happy It's all silly stuff really, not worth your precious time, or even ours going over it again in here. Sad thing is that's their reality, and the only reality they know.
If you're in for another chuckle check the now closed thread on the fake Dark Marks, about people that tattoo the Masquerade symbol. https://www.vampirismforum.com/t784-fake-dark-marks

The word spirituality must be completely alien to all these people. Thank you for the heads up on the video anyways.
Jonathan
Jonathan
Master
Master

Number of posts : 3028
Registration date : 2008-06-05

Back to top Go down

Video: The Vampire Community: History and Context  Empty Re: Video: The Vampire Community: History and Context

Post by Hierophant 09.09.11 12:24

Thanks. It's sad when people think these organisations are based on something real.

Hierophant
Outsider
Outsider

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2011-05-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Kate 03.10.11 7:03

Facts are often prepared by accord. Accord is formed when similar or identical descriptions are proposed and combined. The more similar or identical descriptions that are combined, the more solid the accord appears and the more valid the Facts seem.

On the other hand, apparent Facts are not always reality, the more solid the Facts seem, the more untruths they are likely to contains, on our journey we must seek out all views in order to choose and follow our own paths, Only a true being could make a erudite judgment of the validity of this groups teachings and so scoff, are you true beings………

Things are not always what they seem; the first appearance deceives many; the intelligence of a few perceives what has been carefully hidden
Kate
Kate
Outsider
Outsider

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2010-03-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Hioman 04.10.11 20:52

Well..its belanger...
Hioman
Hioman
Outsider
Outsider

Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2009-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Lafaeyette 11.08.12 6:15

Not a single person who roleplays the white wolf system believes that it is real, that is quite an odd misconception. Roleplaying Masquerade (which has recently been remade into Requiem) is about escapism, not bout recreating a new life... Why would we want to play what we perceive as our real lives?

Lafaeyette
Beginner
Beginner

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2012-08-06

http://www.vampirebibliographica.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan 11.08.12 10:22

Lafayette, I think the problem here is not with the game. People are free to play games and that has nothing to do with their vampirism. The real problem is having misconceptions passed down by people such as Belanger that don't really understand the origins of vampirism and the community. Passing the idea that the vampire community originated in groups of people that played Masquerade is an aberrant lie. That's how she started and found the community, but that has nothing to do with how the community started. There were vampires, vampirism and a vampire community long before Belanger first heard about blood and energy.
The real vampire community is much more secretive and mature than she likes to tell herself. Sometimes I do wonder if after all these years she still hasn't found the real community...
Jonathan
Jonathan
Master
Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Lafaeyette 11.08.12 10:30

Valid point, it would seem I misread her intentions.... It has always seemed a bit strange to me that for all the commentary over the importance of secrecy, so-called 'vampires' such as Belanger and Don Henrie are the most vocal... And how very vocal they are Rolling Eyes

Lafaeyette
Beginner
Beginner

Back to top Go down

Post by schitzophobic 15.08.12 0:18

I've said it elsewhere but its still valid...
Basically those who know the least will talk the most... many people seek reafirmation of themselves through attaining the attention of others... seeking whatever spotlight they can... and when they find something that works they will milk it as far as it will take them... those who truly do know, don't need the outside reaffirmation... often times they will withdraw from the spotlight... avoiding the drama that comes with it... favoring quieter more intelligent and mature circles...
schitzophobic
schitzophobic
Outsider
Outsider

Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2012-06-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan 15.08.12 1:06

schitzophobic wrote:I've said it elsewhere but its still valid...
Basically those who know the least will talk the most... many people seek reafirmation of themselves through attaining the attention of others... seeking whatever spotlight they can... and when they find something that works they will milk it as far as it will take them... those who truly do know, don't need the outside reaffirmation... often times they will withdraw from the spotlight... avoiding the drama that comes with it... favoring quieter more intelligent and mature circles...
I agree. Actually, I'm not sure if you read it, but what you said was something that Luis Marques has mentioned in the introduction to the Book of Orion. Shows a very interesting and thought-provoking view on the psychology of those that seek the spotlight versus those that avoid it.
Jonathan
Jonathan
Master
Master

Back to top Go down

Post by schitzophobic 15.08.12 1:28

interesting... I haven't read it yet actually... payday today so I will be procuring my copy soon... ;p
schitzophobic
schitzophobic
Outsider
Outsider

Back to top Go down

Post by Lightseeker 15.08.12 1:57

I'm not so familiar with Belanger's work but I have some friends that play Vampire: The Masquerade on a regular basis. Sometimes they let me join in as a guest (allthough I'm not really such a roleplaying type). I discovered that their attitude towards the "reality" of the game and vampires in general differs from person to person. While most see it just as a game, there is also one particular guy who sees the game as a way to outwardly express "what he really is". He also wears a Vampire Ankh on a chain around his neck in everyday life and wants to join the Sanguinarium. He says the game somehow "resonated with his own nature".
In general I do think that there are quite a few roleplayers out there for whom the game is at least a stepping-stone into the "real" vampire community.
Lightseeker
Lightseeker
Banned

Number of posts : 283

Back to top Go down

Post by schitzophobic 15.08.12 2:55

She is a very... colorful individual... a quick google search will provide ample information about her...
schitzophobic
schitzophobic
Outsider
Outsider

Back to top Go down

Post by Lafaeyette 15.08.12 3:49

Lightseeker wrote: I discovered that their attitude towards the "reality" of the game and vampires in general differs from person to person. While most see it just as a game, there is also one particular guy who sees the game as a way to outwardly express "what he really is". He also wears a Vampire Ankh on a chain around his neck in everyday life and wants to join the Sanguinarium. He says the game somehow "resonated with his own nature".
In general I do think that there are quite a few roleplayers out there for whom the game is at least a stepping-stone into the "real" vampire community.

I play the newer version, Requiem, and I will admit that some people may see it as their stepping stone, their beginnings of understanding the community (how exactly, I cannot say, because my experiences of both differ vastly), but for me it was the other way around. I grew up feeling a kinship with any and all versions of the vampire mythos, genre, and community. I started wearing an ankh before I even understood the connections, I simply loved the symbol and the intention of it. I wasn't until years later that I realised its significance. I started writing vampire fiction to remain close to what I saw (and still do perceive) as my purpose (again, why I cannot say... it just has always been that way for me). I joined the community for closeness to what I feel affection for.
And then only did I begin playing Vampire as a means of immersing myself ever further in the world I found myself already drowning in...

Lafaeyette
Beginner
Beginner

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down