Spelling and grammar

5 posters

Go down

Spelling and grammar Empty Spelling and grammar

Post by Daniel09 03.10.10 17:23

Now, to begin, I understand that there are many here who are not native English speaking individuals. There is something ridiculous I continue to see happen though. People come on here claiming to be wise and intelligent beings, and then proceed to post either run-on sentences, extremely misspelled words, or grammar that makes less than no sense.

Im tolkeng thing like thisss were a persin dosnt evn put enuf effert into spelling too mace a understandible sentense

I can tell when someone is posting and trying very well to work from another language. It is usually indicated by foreign grammar structure, word pronunciation spelling, etc. This is entirely excusable, as it is not the fault of the poster in this instance.

Just, when a person is asking a question here or trying to say something, and they are a born English speaker or are claiming to be highly powerful, wise, and intelligent, he/she should be able to work out how to spell things without making themselves look like a ten-year-old who just began using the computer for the first time.

There is no edit feature here to help promote posting what you mean the way you mean it the first time. It also encourages proof-reading yourself before you post something. It would bring ease to my brain trying to read posts if some people (and I bet they know who they are) would just do this.
Daniel09
Daniel09
Expert
Expert

Number of posts : 850
Registration date : 2009-01-17

Back to top Go down

Spelling and grammar Empty Re: Spelling and grammar

Post by N.Augusta 04.10.10 8:08

Daniel,

I know what you mean... Unfortunately, there is nothing we can do. There are 700+ people on the forum and it continues to grow.

I do not mind so much the bad spelling, though they could atleast compose their posts in an email to check the spelling before posting, but what kills me is the lack of punctuation in posts. I usually avoid reading them thus problem solved.

N.Augusta
N.Augusta
Adept
Adept

Number of posts : 439
Registration date : 2009-12-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel09 04.10.10 9:22

700+ people. I see 2 people posting right now who could do a better job proof-reading what they say before they make it a part of the forum. All in all, I can maybe count 15 active members here.

I really did just give up on one of Am I Real's posts, because the lack of punctuation of so radical that it would have taken ten minutes to translate half of it into coherent sentences.

We are an open community here, dedicated to helping each-other understand the path, but there are some things that are just silly.
Daniel09
Daniel09
Expert
Expert

Number of posts : 850
Registration date : 2009-01-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Syrianeh 04.10.10 9:47

I am sorry but I must say this:

This once referential and respected Forum is losing quality and credibility. And not because of Elendor's great work, vision and effort, nor that of anyone who contributed to make it grow from its beginnings. In spite of it.

Mind you, even as I write this I feel that I really have no right to critizice something that don't "own", but again - as an "old-timer" - I feel that I have earned the right to complain and whine. However horrible that sounds. Smile

I understand that it was its public openness that made the Forum what it is from the beginning, and ironically it is precisely that very openness that is causing its degradation.

However, there is much wisdom and knowledge in the many threads here. I have learned much here, and also found here some great tools for my own personal evolution as well as some good friends.. For that, I am forever grateful and for that too I will continue to support and contribute to this Forum whenever I feel I have something worth saying.

To all those newbies who have flocked here in search of answers to their Twilight fantasies or to role play out of sheer denial, please - please - take your time to read from the beginning and really understand what this is all about. And, as Daniel says, edit yourself.

This is a great opportunity to get a glimpse of some outstanding truths that support the reality of our very universe. Don't muck it up.

To the Administrator, please feel free to erase this message, or change it, or give me a piece of your mind if you feel you should. I just had to say this and now I have.
Syrianeh
Syrianeh
Expert
Expert

Number of posts : 708
Registration date : 2008-09-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Nebibi 04.10.10 9:49

Thank you Syrianeh, I feel the same.
Nebibi
Nebibi
Insider
Insider

Number of posts : 179
Registration date : 2009-11-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Elendor 04.10.10 19:17

Syrianeh wrote:I am sorry but I must say this:

This once referential and respected Forum is losing quality and credibility. And not because of Elendor's great work, vision and effort, nor that of anyone who contributed to make it grow from its beginnings. In spite of it.

Mind you, even as I write this I feel that I really have no right to critizice something that don't "own", but again - as an "old-timer" - I feel that I have earned the right to complain and whine. However horrible that sounds. Smile

I understand that it was its public openness that made the Forum what it is from the beginning, and ironically it is precisely that very openness that is causing its degradation.

However, there is much wisdom and knowledge in the many threads here. I have learned much here, and also found here some great tools for my own personal evolution as well as some good friends.. For that, I am forever grateful and for that too I will continue to support and contribute to this Forum whenever I feel I have something worth saying.

To all those newbies who have flocked here in search of answers to their Twilight fantasies or to role play out of sheer denial, please - please - take your time to read from the beginning and really understand what this is all about. And, as Daniel says, edit yourself.

This is a great opportunity to get a glimpse of some outstanding truths that support the reality of our very universe. Don't muck it up.

To the Administrator, please feel free to erase this message, or change it, or give me a piece of your mind if you feel you should. I just had to say this and now I have.
Nothing to edit or erase. I agree with you.

Some are more interested in talking with the "I" as center, instead of first seeking enlightenment to understand their "I" in the first place.

Elendor
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2008-06-01

https://www.vampirismforum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down