Who and what was Nephthys?

3 posters

Go down

Who and what was Nephthys? Empty Who and what was Nephthys?

Post by Syrianeh 01.08.09 11:43

Of the four children of Earth and the Sky (Geb and Nut), it seems to me that Nephthys is the lesser known. She is sister to Osiris, Aset and Seth and is supposed to be Seth's partner. From my research I have seen that she is often depicted as Aset's twin sister, representing the transfer into death and funerary rites as opposed to Aset, who represents birth (and rebirth). She is also believed by some to be the mother of Anubis, a surrogate mother or nurse to Horus (her nephew) and a very fierce Goddess.

There is little said on Nephthys in the Asetian Bible, but yet she is no less than one of the four primordial Gods. I am wondering if anyone else can shed more light on her significance in Asetianism, if any.
Syrianeh
Syrianeh
Expert
Expert

Number of posts : 708
Registration date : 2008-09-16

Back to top Go down

Who and what was Nephthys? Empty Re: Who and what was Nephthys?

Post by Ankhhape 01.08.09 12:14

Nephthys stands in the shadows so that she can be known without fully evealng herself in physicasl form. This can be seen from the images of her on Temple walls where she is usually standing behind Aset, half revealed.

Yet, instead of standing in the shadow of Aset , Nephthys 'is' the shadow. The veiled aspect of the Goddess.

Nephthys and Anubis played vital roles in the resurrection of Osiris.
Ankhhape
Ankhhape
Banned

Number of posts : 387
Registration date : 2008-06-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Syrianeh 01.08.09 12:54

Thank you, Ankkape. That is an interesting concept. Osiris then was not resurrected only by Aset herself but also with the help of Nephthys and Anubis?
Syrianeh
Syrianeh
Expert
Expert

Number of posts : 708
Registration date : 2008-09-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Aghrab 03.08.09 12:17

Nephthys, even though being the wife of Seth, was not an enemy of Aset. The resurrection, as you asked, was done by Aset only, however some myths tell us that Nephthys helped Aset find the body parts of Osiris when Osiris was defeated by Seth.

Aghrab
Aghrab
Aghrab
Adept
Adept

Number of posts : 492
Registration date : 2008-06-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 15.08.09 7:51

I wish to thank Ankhhape for the interesting explanation on Nephthys' meaning in Asetianism (and Syrianeh for posting this question), since it was also one of my doubts. It makes sense.

Cheers! Wink
Heru P. K.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum