+2
Kalb
Jonathan
6 posters

Go down

Kebechet: The Daughter of Anpu Empty Kebechet: The Daughter of Anpu

Post by Nebibi 07.06.11 21:18

Em Hotep,

Little is known of the Keepers. However, when doing some research on Ancient Egypt I came across a peculiar goddess: Kebechet. I realize that through time legend can be tainted by humans but this goddess stuck out to me.
This website gives a brief description of the goddess:
http://www.ancientegyptonline.co.uk/kebechet.html

Could she possibly be a Keeper? So far nothing that I have come across portrays her as such, but its the only reference to any child of Anpu that I have come across. She is said to be 'cooling water' and she plays an important role in mummification. Do you believe this role was placed upon her after human misinterpretation? Or, do you think my curious mind has simply done too much reading for its own good?
Also since she appears to be the only 'child' of Anpu to be recorded in history, why do you think she is portrayed as the personification of embalming fluid? Do you think that this 'cooling water' aspect of hers has any metaphysical meaning to it?
Also this brings to mind another question: The Ancient Egyptians held highly the process of mummification. why do you think this is? If it is the soul that is so important, why was the preservation of the body so crucial?

Any thoughts and comments are welcome.
Nebibi
Nebibi
Insider
Insider

Number of posts : 179
Registration date : 2009-11-10

Back to top Go down

Kebechet: The Daughter of Anpu Empty Re: Kebechet: The Daughter of Anpu

Post by AndreiaLi 08.06.11 18:31

When I was doing a research about Anpu and his significants I had the same problem. So little is known about his wife Anput and daughter Kebechet. I think yes, it is possible that the two women were in fact Keepers that prefered to remain in secret to the eyes of many, and that could be a reason for the lack of information. And it is also possible (in my view), that Kebechet wasn't His only daughter.

In what it concerns to mummification, I think there are simbolic aspects involved because it is known that the physical realm (including your physical body) can have different types of impact on your mental state, on energetic bodies and for consequence on your soul. So, maybe the process was a simbolic way to preserve not especifically the body, but all the faculties that the being that was mummificated has acomplished during his lifetime period so that he can be able to maintain them on his next life.

So in the next life the being that was mummificated will be able to remember all his accomplishements and be able to grow more and more... and of course this could be intimatly connected with achieving the Higher Self.

Mummification was, I think, a very important magick work.
AndreiaLi
AndreiaLi
Insider
Insider

Number of posts : 149
Registration date : 2010-04-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan 08.06.11 18:46

This is a very interesting subject. I find the Children of Anubis deeply fascinating.

I do believe there is a connection between Kebechet and the Keepers, most likely a strong one. It is likely that she was involved with the Aset Ka, and if a Keeper, even more likely to have been and still be a member of the Council of Keepers, a very secretive sect within the Aset Ka formed by the Children of Anubis.

We're all doing some guesswork here, of course... but I believe you're both probably right.
Jonathan
Jonathan
Master
Master

Number of posts : 3028
Registration date : 2008-06-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Kalb 09.06.11 16:23

Keep Talking. Very Happy
Kalb
Kalb
Expert
Expert

Number of posts : 1280
Registration date : 2009-10-28

http://twitter.com/#!/st7lk3r

Back to top Go down

Post by Nebibi 14.06.11 12:30

Em Hotep,

I have tried to find other possibilities of Gods in Ancient Egypt that could be considered Keepers. I came across one: Wepwawet. He is depicted as a wolf-headed God as opposed to a jackal headed God.
What leads me to believe that he may be a Keeper is the fact that he is referred to as "the one with the sharp arrow who is more powerful than the gods."
- you can visit this site to read the full description of him:
http://www.ancientegyptonline.co.uk/wepwawet.html

He, like Kebechet, is also seen as a key element in the funerary process and was sometimes seen as the son of Anpu. However, what strikes me as strange is the fact that he is wolf headed, instead of Jackal headed like Anpu, Kebechet and Anput.

My question to you would be: why do you think this is? Why is he depicted as a wolf-headed god? Perhaps there is a Lycanthropic implication here...but this may be a stretch and could he be a Keeper?

What do you all think?

I am anxious to read your opinions.
Nebibi
Nebibi
Insider
Insider

Back to top Go down

Post by Divine 277 14.06.11 14:14

This is what I found on Kebechet in one of my books :

Kebechet/ Kebehwet was seen as a celestial serpent , from the word kebhu firmant , that is mentioned several times in the pyramid text.

They think she was the daughter of Anubis and the kings "sister" and one whom he loves . the pyramid texts also somewhat enigmatically identify kebehwet with the middle or handcarts (Pt 1749, ect ) and assert that she refreshed and purified the harts of the deceased monarch with pure water from four jars ( pt 1180 ) and that the goddess heled open the window of the sky to assist the kings resurrection ( pt 468 ) . Her ministrations were eventually extended to all of the dead, but the the goddess was never a very important deity.

From the book goddesses and gods of Egypt.

When it comes to animal gods, most of the gods and goddesses that was of the most important was many times displayed as an animal or whit an animals head, but from early on most deities was in fact Animals or had animal form.

Theoretically he could have been a keeper and if The first Vampires emerged in Egypt why not the first Lycanthrops as well?

Divine 277
Divine 277
Expert
Expert

Number of posts : 1003
Registration date : 2010-03-01

https://www.facebook.com/academyofancientknowlege/?fref=ts

Back to top Go down

Post by Nebibi 14.06.11 23:41

Thank you everyone for your posts and thank you Divine277 for sharing information with us. I know this is a difficult subject to research but it is equally exciting none the less.
Nebibi
Nebibi
Insider
Insider

Back to top Go down

Post by Divine 277 15.06.11 12:48

@nebibi So true, so true Smile your welcome Smile but it was no problem <3 happy to help If i can <3
Divine 277
Divine 277
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Shemset 16.06.11 21:03

I believe that every description of the gods have some metaphysical meaning on it.

Wepwawet is a wolf-headed god due to his warrior aspect.
And the idea of Lycanthrops in Kemet sounds weird.
Shemset
Shemset
Beginner
Beginner

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2010-11-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Divine 277 17.06.11 2:04

Also want to thank everyone else that has contributed to this exiting topic Very Happy
Divine 277
Divine 277
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Nebibi 17.06.11 10:55

Shemset: I also agree that the description of the Gods has a metaphysical meaning to it. But this is one that we may not always be able to comprehend or clearly see. Many of the myths have been convoluted through the years. However, the AB mentions Lycan's. I, of course do not know if they were around during the time of Kemet, but it could be a possibility. Just because something 'sounds weird' doesn't make it improbable. What do you all think?
Nebibi
Nebibi
Insider
Insider

Back to top Go down

Post by AndreiaLi 19.06.11 19:13

It think it is a possibility. Why not? I was also thinking in hybrids, lycan-vampires. Just a very remote idea.
AndreiaLi
AndreiaLi
Insider
Insider

Number of posts : 149
Registration date : 2010-04-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Shemset 21.06.11 7:07

It's hard for me to imagine such creatures so attached to the physical plane living in a place so full of magic as Kemet.

Werewolves are extremely connected to the physical world, how someone without a lot of metaphysical abilities would be able to absorb the extra energy required to sustain himself?
Shemset
Shemset
Beginner
Beginner

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2010-11-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down