How much is known about the ancient Egypt?

+2
Vertigo
Daniel09
6 posters

Go down

How much is known about the ancient Egypt? Empty How much is known about the ancient Egypt?

Post by Vertigo 22.03.09 15:33

See name of topic.

I was away last week to look after books about the hieroglyphs, the religion and interesting information about the culture and language of ancient Egypt.

You know the magnitude of how disappointed I got?

There were barely anything about the glyphs, nothing about the language, boring and...well...boring information about the culture and almost no information about their myths (boring as in nothing out of interest...).

I got my hands on one book that seemed decent about the hieroglyphs and one book (for childs and teenagers) about the pantheon...

But nothing else...

I know that the Egyptians werent that fond about writing down their myths.

But is so little known about the ancient Egypt so that its hard to find anything useful?
Vertigo
Vertigo
Insider
Insider

Number of posts : 139
Registration date : 2009-03-18

Back to top Go down

How much is known about the ancient Egypt? Empty Re: How much is known about the ancient Egypt?

Post by Daniel09 22.03.09 16:57

Pretty much. You'd probably have better luck learning about it by visiting Egypt yourself and deciphering the hieroglyphics and studying relics and such.

I find it a very fulfilling past-time to translate and understand the meanings of everything having to do with Egypt. It's just comfortable for me and it all seems familiar, almost nostalgic.
Daniel09
Daniel09
Expert
Expert

Number of posts : 850
Registration date : 2009-01-17

Back to top Go down

How much is known about the ancient Egypt? Empty Re: How much is known about the ancient Egypt?

Post by Kotaro 22.03.09 18:48

Daniel09 wrote: It's just comfortable for me and it all seems familiar, almost nostalgic.

I agree. Well put.
Kotaro
Kotaro
Insider
Insider

Number of posts : 152

Back to top Go down

Post by Elaina 23.03.09 6:28

Daniel09 wrote:Pretty much. You'd probably have better luck learning about it by visiting Egypt yourself and deciphering the hieroglyphics and studying relics and such.

I find it a very fulfilling past-time to translate and understand the meanings of everything having to do with Egypt. It's just comfortable for me and it all seems familiar, almost nostalgic.

I agree with Daniel, there are books out there that can help you, but you really have to order them. Another thing you can do is get in touch with one of the professors at any of the Egyptiology/Archeology colleges and ask them questions. It was how I started getting my answers when I was about 10 and then later went and spent time in Egypt for college.
It really depends on everything that you are wanting information for or from, but I found it easiest to ask some of the people who live and breathe Egypt and her ancient ways.
I hope this helps
Elaina
Elaina
Outsider
Outsider

Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2009-02-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan 23.03.09 16:34

I agree with all of you guys... it is really hard to find deep and trustworthy information about Ancient Egypt, but hey, that's why we have the Asetian Bible. Very Happy

Jonathan
Jonathan
Jonathan
Master
Master

Number of posts : 3028
Registration date : 2008-06-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Vertigo 24.03.09 11:37

Jonathan wrote:I agree with all of you guys... it is really hard to find deep and trustworthy information about Ancient Egypt, but hey, that's why we have the Asetian Bible. Very Happy

Jonathan

Im not classing myself as an Christian (even if I believe in an god force).

But... AMEN TO THAT Very Happy
Vertigo
Vertigo
Insider
Insider

Number of posts : 139
Registration date : 2009-03-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Syrianeh 24.03.09 12:23

I have been preparing a trip to Egypt for a long while now. In fact, I was going to go this November.

However, certain personal events will force me to postpone this trip, and I hope it will be no longer than a year; that is, November 2010.

So although it's still fairly early, I would welcome any insiders' advice as to where to go - of course including Cairo and Philae, and any organizations I can get in touch with to plan my trip. I totally abhorr "Package trips" and so I am intending to backpack it as much as possible.

Thanks!
Syrianeh
Syrianeh
Expert
Expert

Number of posts : 708
Registration date : 2008-09-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Elaina 24.03.09 13:05

I am actually going soon, I have a friend that lives there and I am going to go stay there for a week or so.
I am going this spring. I promised my mate I would take him. Also it is like feeling home sick you just want to go back.
Elaina
Elaina
Outsider
Outsider

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan 24.03.09 13:16

Never been there, but have hopes in being able to in the future.

Jonathan
Jonathan
Jonathan
Master
Master

Number of posts : 3028
Registration date : 2008-06-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Elaina 24.03.09 13:35

Its the best place I have ever been to and the most enjoyment I have ever had.
Elaina
Elaina
Outsider
Outsider

Back to top Go down

Post by Kotaro 24.03.09 13:45

Jonathan wrote:Never been there, but have hopes in being able to in the future.

Jonathan

Me too. I can remember being in first grade of school wanting to check out the books on Egypt and wasn't allowed because they were reference books. So,at lunch, I'd go and spend many a lunch break in the library.
Kotaro
Kotaro
Insider
Insider

Number of posts : 152

Back to top Go down

Post by Syrianeh 24.03.09 15:14

I hope you have a good stay, Elania Smile
Syrianeh
Syrianeh
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Elaina 24.03.09 15:21

Thank you Syrianeh, I know I will. I will miss you all while I am gone but when I go, I dont take my computer. I go to be completely and totally emersed in the beauty and peace of the presence of the old gods, and Aset.
Elaina
Elaina
Outsider
Outsider

Back to top Go down

Post by Syrianeh 24.03.09 15:25

You are right in doing so, Elaina. If you can, do store up one or two stories/impressions of your visit for us...
Syrianeh
Syrianeh
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Elaina 24.03.09 15:30

Oh, I will come back with many a tale Syrianeh dont worry Wink
My friend is from Cairo, she teaches belly dancing but also loves taking me all over. I am going to go visit Philae again. I wish to take both my friend and my mate there. They both know what I am and respect me in my ways. I am ready to share more of it with him and I am glad that he is excited and accepting. It is something I never thought I would find and my trips back were something I never thought I would share.
Elaina
Elaina
Outsider
Outsider

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down