Baboons from the walls of Egypt

2 posters

Go down

Baboons from the walls of Egypt Empty Baboons from the walls of Egypt

Post by Maxx 30.08.09 12:26

I often wondered about why baboons were pictured on the walls of some of the temples in early Egypt. Here I find a visual to explain it somewhat......

At Thebes, Amun came to be considered as the supreme creator god, and his priesthood was able to surpass the king in power in that region. In representations of the sun god coming into being, the eight primordial deities mentioned in this myth are sometimes depicted as baboons in the posture of greeting the rising sun. This is a fine example of the way in which the ancient Egyptians made observations of the natural world and then incorporated them into the iconography of their religious beliefs. At dawn, baboons have a habit of sitiing up on their hind legs with their front paws raised, in order to warm their undersides in the morning rays of the sun. This upright posture, with arms and hands raised in front of the face, was adopted as the posture of adoration by humans before the gods.

This gives me a visual of humans in church on Sunday whorshiping with their hands up............shows me where it came from....The baboons.
Maxx
Maxx
Master
Master

Number of posts : 4334
Registration date : 2008-06-30

Back to top Go down

Baboons from the walls of Egypt Empty Re: Baboons from the walls of Egypt

Post by Jonathan 30.08.09 13:08

Also the Baboon is an ancient symbol that was used to represent knowledge and the mystical studies. That is why that animal is many times identified with Thoth, and this deity is represented in the halls of death and judgement under that form in many papyrus. Also in Crowley's tarot, the presence of the baboon in several cards refers to knowledge by the powers of Thoth.
Jonathan
Jonathan
Master
Master

Number of posts : 3046
Registration date : 2008-06-05

Back to top Go down