The egyptian Astrology wheel.

+2
Daniel09
N.Augusta
6 posters

Go down

The egyptian Astrology wheel.  Empty The egyptian Astrology wheel.

Post by Divine 277 15.02.11 15:42

The egyptian Astrology wheel.  Egyptzodiac

I just wanted to ask if anyone here has studied the egyptian zodiac ?
Divine 277
Divine 277
Expert
Expert

Number of posts : 1003
Registration date : 2010-03-01

https://www.facebook.com/academyofancientknowlege/?fref=ts

Back to top Go down

The egyptian Astrology wheel.  Empty Re: The egyptian Astrology wheel.

Post by N.Augusta 16.02.11 16:09

I have not!
N.Augusta
N.Augusta
Adept
Adept

Number of posts : 439
Registration date : 2009-12-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel09 16.02.11 17:25

I remember reading that we can only recognize a few of the major ones, and that the rest are just guesswork in terms of what constellations they are. It would be great if someone would decipher the thing and open up the world of Egyptian Astrology again. Perhaps it has been done and I am unawares, it would be nice to know.
Daniel09
Daniel09
Expert
Expert

Number of posts : 850
Registration date : 2009-01-17

Back to top Go down

Post by AndreiaLi 17.02.11 6:45

Nope, but I would like to know more about the subject.
AndreiaLi
AndreiaLi
Insider
Insider

Number of posts : 149
Registration date : 2010-04-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan 17.02.11 10:17

We have a representation of the Ancient Egyptian zodiac in the Asetian Bible, I believe in the chapter that describes the different Djehuty aeons. It is a drawing of the alchemical ceiling from the Dendera temple, similar to the picture you just posted.
Jonathan
Jonathan
Master
Master

Number of posts : 3046
Registration date : 2008-06-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Divine 277 22.02.11 8:20

@ jonathan true, I was wondering if anyone had studied its alchemy ?

Divine 277
Divine 277
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan 22.02.11 17:29

I'm sorry but I haven't studied it deeply enough.
Jonathan
Jonathan
Master
Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Divine 277 18.03.11 13:50

A Question : would someone like to learn more about it ?
Divine 277
Divine 277
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan 18.03.11 14:10

Divine 277 wrote:A Question : would someone like to learn more about it ?
Of course. Aren't we all here to learn?
Jonathan
Jonathan
Master
Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Divine 277 18.03.11 16:09

Then I will begin in basic history :

Short introduction to general Star lore !

The first star lore that has been found is from ancient Babylonia, the first zodiac map is dated about 5500bc and has 48 constellations.

The Denderah star lore comes to Egypt In the Time of Alexander the great, but the generally accepted date for the zodiac is around 50 BC.
I would also like to say that there was something called the "Dendera Affair", that involved people of the likes of Joseph Fourier (who estimated that the age was 2500 BC).

The Denderah zodiac has about 48 constellations, some argues at this point and means that it is more or less constellations, depending on how you read it.

The first assumed star lore that we still use to day is from the greek/ roman period of Egypt and was officially “created “ (out take wikipedia ) : by Ptolemy's treatise on astrology, known in Greek as both the Apotelesmatika ("Astrological Outcomes" or "Effects") and "Tetrabiblios" ("Four Books"), and in Latin as the Quadripartitum ("Four books"), was the most popular astrological work of antiquity and also had great influence in the Islamic world and the medieval Latin West.

Moving along....
Babylonian, Greek and Egyptian star lore has more then one thing in command, one of them being that they tell the stories of the gods and the seasons, and that many of the stories at this point is very similar to one another, some even claim it to be one and the same, all of them also was a big fan of symbolism and that means that it is a very BIG topic to cover.

So since this is a very BIG subject, I would like to know if any of you knew this from before ? (should I speed it up a notch ? )
And if there is any questions related to what I just wrote ?
Divine 277
Divine 277
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by yezkaz 19.03.11 2:56

Very interesting topic!

In my case I didn’t know that and I wish you could post more.
;-)
yezkaz
yezkaz
Beginner
Beginner

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2009-11-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Divine 277 20.03.11 14:33

@yezkaz :S well, my main problem at this point is that I dont rely know where to begin :/

I could begin whit the basic mythology behind the constellations, or I could begin whit which constellations that mach one another... or I could begin whit why they used the symbols that they did according to the cycling of the stars and the seasons.
Or I could use another completely different approach ... :S

This is / has sadly, always been one of my problems( cant seem to decide where to begin, when writing about what I know ) , thats why I would say I prefer to be asked questions about a subject....
Divine 277
Divine 277
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by yezkaz 21.03.11 15:23

divine, I understand what you mean, well I’m afraid I didn’t know what to ask but now that you gave some starting points. I would be interested in what the symbols are and why they are used.
yezkaz
yezkaz
Beginner
Beginner

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2009-11-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan 23.03.11 18:03

Divine, what would be the major differences between the Ancient Egyptian zodiac and the modern zodiac? They look very different, but I'm afraid I'm quite ignorant on Astrology to be able to compare them myself.

If I remember correctly, Daniel is experienced with Astrology so his input would also be appreciated.
Jonathan
Jonathan
Master
Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Divine 277 24.03.11 3:40

Jonathan wrote:Divine, what would be the major differences between the Ancient Egyptian zodiac and the modern zodiac? They look very different, but I'm afraid I'm quite ignorant on Astrology to be able to compare them myself.

If I remember correctly, Daniel is experienced with Astrology so his input would also be appreciated.

yezkaz wrote:
divine, I understand what you mean, well I’m afraid I didn’t know what to ask but now that you gave some starting points. I would be interested in what the symbols are and why they are used.

Well, for the most it is the stories and myths that divides the Greek one and the egyptian one , even though some of the stories and symbols can be compared, like the Greek one has the hydra, and the egyptian and Babylonian has the serpent.

As symbolism, the serpent has many different meanings in both Egyptian, Babylonian and Greek star lore.

Some Serpent symbolism from Egypt : Time, Wadjet /Wedjet, (from the Dogon ): serpent that came fort from Ra (I will not go so deep in to this, since I expect that you know your history on this point Smile )

Babylonian (and simulations to the egyptian) :Time, death , traveling to the underworld, (omens : pest and plague), and summer time.

Serpent in Greek ( hydra ): (Wikipedia outtake ): One myth associates it with a water snake that a crow served Apollo in a cup when it was sent to fetch water; Apollo saw through the fraud, and angrily cast the crow, cup, and snake, into the sky.
The myth of Heracles slaying the Lernaean Hydra is an adaptation of the myth of Ninurta slaying the Seven-headed serpent. The MUL.APIN has a "serpent" constellation (MUL.DINGIR.MUŠ) which loosely corresponds to Hydra. It is one of two Babylonian "serpent" constellations (the other being the origin of Serpens), properly described as Mušmaḫḫu "exalted serpent" (c.f. Mušḫuššu "furious serpent"[clarification needed]), a mythological hybrid of serpent, lion and bird.

Some say The serpent in the star constellation in egyptian myth would be associated to the story of Ra and his travels true the underworld, where most souls would be "judged"at the gates. others say it is also closely connected to the goddess Wedjet and the chaos of the waters of nun.

when it comes to the constellations we use to day.( the Greek )

Aries The Ram fire
Taurus The Bull earth
Gemini The Twins air
Cancer The Crab water
Leo The Lion fire
Virgo The Virgin earth
Libra The Scales air
Scorpio The Scorpion water
Sagittarius The Archer/Centaur fire
Capricorn The Sea-goat earth
Aquarius The Water Carrier air
Pisces The Two Fish water

Vs the Egyptian and Babylonian, they have the same constellations, they just dont
have to mean the same ting.

What is interesting about this subject is the constellations that has been excluded from our zodiac year... like the Sothis cow , Sah ( the flat footed or long strider )... The sited god whit the staff of was, and a few more constellations.

Divine 277
Divine 277
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down