Anyone have info how Egypt ancient sites are protected during turmoil today?

+4
Nebibi
Daniel09
Sinata Anika Asti
Maxx
8 posters

Go down

Anyone have info how Egypt ancient sites are protected during turmoil today? Empty Anyone have info how Egypt ancient sites are protected during turmoil today?

Post by Maxx 24.06.12 10:47

I am concerned about the historical sites in Egypt today as all the tumoil and conditions of unrest are enlarging. I see that much digging and pillage is occurring by just the people from the countryside stealing and selling anything they can find or get their hands on. Does anyone have any firsthand knowledge of what kind of protection is in place for those sites....or is there any at all.

Maxx
Maxx
Maxx
Master
Master

Number of posts : 4334
Registration date : 2008-06-30

Back to top Go down

Anyone have info how Egypt ancient sites are protected during turmoil today? Empty Re: Anyone have info how Egypt ancient sites are protected during turmoil today?

Post by Sinata Anika Asti 24.06.12 11:41

That is a very good question Maxx, I was also wondering that myself. You always come up with some good ones Smile
Sinata Anika Asti
Sinata Anika Asti
Insider
Insider

Number of posts : 161
Registration date : 2010-11-19

Back to top Go down

Anyone have info how Egypt ancient sites are protected during turmoil today? Empty Re: Anyone have info how Egypt ancient sites are protected during turmoil today?

Post by Jonathan 24.06.12 11:45

Unfortunately no privileged information about it from my contacts. I'm worried about that as well.
Jonathan
Jonathan
Master
Master

Number of posts : 3046
Registration date : 2008-06-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel09 25.06.12 9:18

I have been told that the sites are being plundered and sold on the black market en masse.
Daniel09
Daniel09
Expert
Expert

Number of posts : 850
Registration date : 2009-01-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Nebibi 25.06.12 10:34

Johnathan: You have contacts connected to the AK?
Nebibi
Nebibi
Insider
Insider

Number of posts : 179
Registration date : 2009-11-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Kalb 25.06.12 12:29

This is not a private ask, Nebibi?
Kalb
Kalb
Expert
Expert

Number of posts : 1280
Registration date : 2009-10-28

http://twitter.com/#!/st7lk3r

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan 25.06.12 13:01

Nebibi wrote:Johnathan: You have contacts connected to the AK?
In my post I was referring to the looting happening in Egypt, nothing connected with the AK.
Jonathan
Jonathan
Master
Master

Number of posts : 3046
Registration date : 2008-06-05

Back to top Go down

Post by N.Augusta 25.06.12 22:29

They have been doing this for a very very very long time-- selling artifacts on the black market. While it is wrong, the other side of the coin is that the people have to eat, live and survive, and so many desire a better life. They suffered from a repressive government for so long. Such things happen all over the world though. Not saying this is right, it is very sad, but until we have lived and experienced it, we cannot comprehend the poverty of the people in third world countries. It is not that difficult to slip such things out of the country to buyers. Many fathers must leave their families to work in other mid-east countries just to get work and support their families, thus, rarely see them. And while in other countries, they are. of course, often treated like second class citizens/immigrant workers. The majority live in poverty. Crazy things go on there. I have friends from different class levels from different areas over there, crazy discussions. I guess, always remember, what man values another man may not.
N.Augusta
N.Augusta
Adept
Adept

Number of posts : 439
Registration date : 2009-12-29

Back to top Go down

Post by schitzophobic 25.06.12 23:56

Even though there are better methods for achieving the same process I belive that the cycle tends to be a form of preservation... often times when an item is left in its original environment it tends to deteriorate over time... when removed from these sites the value of a stolen artifact is its level of intactness... thus it gets smuggled out in as best condition as possible... through the black market items sometimes end up with private colectors... who often times go to great lengths to preserve not only the artifact but also the information surounding the item... I would want to know the story of any item I add to my collection... and the value often times is only in the story of whowhat why where when the item came from... I've seen instances that collectors will age and through various means contribute to the collections of museums... granted its like using a torn fish net I think I think that there isn't enough modern enthusiasm from society to make a better effort at restoring and preserving the worlds heritage in a better way...
schitzophobic
schitzophobic
Outsider
Outsider

Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2012-06-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down