'st hieroglyphic

5 posters

Go down

'st hieroglyphic Empty 'st hieroglyphic

Post by Kalb 30.06.12 5:41

Hello, all.

The last day in a Portuguese forum I start to debate with a few users the origins of Asetianism and a user show me an interesting detail about Aset. I check Wikipedia and others sources to learn something new and the sources was not great.. Nothing new except the main part of vowels.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isis wrote:
The true Egyptian pronunciation remains uncertain, however, because hieroglyphs do not indicate vowels.

Anyway, for a question of respect I will put a translation of the original source of the user LaraKlum.

http://portugalparanormal.com/index.php/topic,19690.msg179147.html#msg179147 wrote:
It is important to note that 'st simply refers to how the word for the name of Isis was represented in hieroglyphics, as it is known that do not include vowels and as such impossible to be voiced without additional knowledge, knowledge that this is largely lost. There are scholars who believe that the absence of phonetic Egyptian legacy is also a form of protection in a society highly connected with magic, the occult and the power of the word, thus ensuring the secrecy of various mantras and words taken as a power in ancient beliefs . With this in mind, it is quite possible that the 'st hieroglyphic for Isis was actually pronounced as Aset at the time of the ancient empire. Of course, it is impossible to prove it, but it is certainly possible to have an open and a reason to explain the use of the word orders by Aset Aset Ka like.

I just loved the text. What is your point about the text?
Kalb
Kalb
Expert
Expert

Number of posts : 1280
Registration date : 2009-10-28

http://twitter.com/#!/st7lk3r

Back to top Go down

'st hieroglyphic Empty Re: 'st hieroglyphic

Post by Kalb 30.06.12 5:47

... and a reason to explain the use of the word in orders as Aset Ka.*
Kalb
Kalb
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaia 30.06.12 21:21

Hiding the vowels as a way to secure the language, stopping the wrong people from decoding the language...and just passing on the real knowledge to a certain few...it does seem like the right thing to do! Especially to keep the real names of Pharaohs and gods safe.

But as it's referred to later in that topic, the Ancient Greeks would know how to pronounce the words, as they lived in Egypt and most likely learned their language, right?

(sorry if I sound confusing)

Kaia
Beginner
Beginner

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2012-06-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel09 30.06.12 22:01

The secret to the pronunciation can likely be traced from the translations of descriptions the Egyptians themselves gave to the correct pronunciation of Heka.

I can't seem to find the exact passage from funerary texts, but from memory, it was along the lines of "spoken without hesitations and with perfect diction." Not much to gain from my memory, which is why I sought the original text, but the style in which one must pronounce it may hint at the appropriate vowel application.
Daniel09
Daniel09
Expert
Expert

Number of posts : 850
Registration date : 2009-01-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Victor 01.07.12 7:13

Kaia wrote:Hiding the vowels as a way to secure the language, stopping the wrong people from decoding the language...and just passing on the real knowledge to a certain few...it does seem like the right thing to do! Especially to keep the real names of Pharaohs and gods safe.

But as it's referred to later in that topic, the Ancient Greeks would know how to pronounce the words, as they lived in Egypt and most likely learned their language, right?
I doubt the Ancient Egyptians would share the secrets of their magickal language and Heka with the Greeks, an invading nation. Most likely they pretended the hieroglyphs to be just a form of academic writing, a cloak to the real truth that remains effective still today while some Egyptologists still believe it was merely a language.
Victor
Victor
Adept
Adept

Number of posts : 576
Registration date : 2008-06-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Demonia 02.07.12 9:34

this is a guess, but this could be one of the reasons the greeks and romans destroyed many temples in ancient Egypt? they could have found out about their secrecy, the secret language, and seen their magicks and rituals, and destroyed and conquered them in disagreement of the practice. just a thought. so many unanswered questions.
Demonia
Demonia
Insider
Insider

Number of posts : 178
Registration date : 2012-05-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Kalb 05.07.12 1:46

If anyone can ... I Want to know more on this topic. Some hints?
Kalb
Kalb
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down