Kate
Talibah
Nebibi
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Asetian Bible - poor grammar Empty Asetian Bible - poor grammar

Post by Hierophant 25.07.11 16:06

Anyone else find the grammar in the Asetian Bible poor?

Is it being translated from another language?

Hierophant
Outsider
Outsider

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2011-05-12

Back to top Go down

Asetian Bible - poor grammar Empty Re: Asetian Bible - poor grammar

Post by Kalb 25.07.11 17:45

First, Poor is your topic.
Second, This information only Aset Ka possue.
Third, Why you think that grammar of Asetian Bible is poor?
Kalb
Kalb
Expert
Expert

Number of posts : 1280
Registration date : 2009-10-28

http://twitter.com/#!/st7lk3r

Back to top Go down

Post by Nebibi 25.07.11 18:40

Hello Hierophant,

I see what you mean. I don't know much about Luis Marques, but I 'think' he was born and raised in Portugal. If so, then, yes, there are going to be some 'odd phrasings' here and there in the AB, which I have noticed. It isn't bad grammar at all, but they are just phrases that are perhaps lost in translation. I could be wrong about Luis Marques' up bringing, but I believe he is a Portugese native.
Nebibi
Nebibi
Insider
Insider

Number of posts : 179
Registration date : 2009-11-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Hierophant 25.07.11 18:44

Well, straight away in the introduction. pg. 15.

"For a very long time, Aset Ka has kept secret within its walls a deep and profound spiritual tradition, which grew and developed from a dark predatory path old as time itself"

and then page 53.

"However, the true vampire, as a real being and not the concept found around the word and in history as pure myth created by man, has its roots on Ancient Egypt"

Hierophant
Outsider
Outsider

Back to top Go down

Post by Talibah 26.07.11 0:16

If all you are seeing and concentrating on in the Asetian Bible, are details of grammar, then you are not really seeing it at all.

There are some things which have been written with specific intentions in mind, but these are not of a grammatical nature.

Try not to let language, in all its forms, become a barrier to your understanding.
Talibah
Talibah
Insider
Insider

Number of posts : 287
Registration date : 2008-08-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Kate 26.07.11 7:40

The intention of the author of the Asetian bible is to purposely not use regular verbal/written techniques, the use of standard verbal/written techniques is not a sufficient guarantee of full understanding; one must use their inward personal experience to see the true knowledge, - Truth is a beacon for those who see…..

Things are not always what they seem; the first appearance deceives many; the intelligence of a few perceives what has been carefully hidden
Kate
Kate
Outsider
Outsider

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2010-03-31

Back to top Go down

Post by N.Augusta 26.07.11 8:07

I know what you mean! I have noticed those types of errors as well. Bringing up such an issue is no big deal; those errors do, in fact, exist, and this is an issue which previously has been mentioned here. Some folks are real sticklers for grammar (not saying you are) but at the same time, we need grammar sticklers out there to help keep the English language in tact. I admit that I become annoyed when I see grammatical errors in newspapers, magazines and books, as well as with online news articles. Now mind you, my grammar is not the greatest. Wink

You did nothing wrong by mentioning this issue. You are, after all, sharing part of your experience with it, and we really do like people to share their experiences. It is a beautiful book, and it was very well written, despite those little errors. It is the quality and content that matters. What you have in your hands is a very special gem. Smile I truly hope that your experience with it will be as enriching for you as it has been for so many of us.

N.Augusta
N.Augusta
Adept
Adept

Number of posts : 439
Registration date : 2009-12-29

Back to top Go down

Post by N.Augusta 26.07.11 8:17

FYI: Just one more thing, it was title of your thread that may have offended some. I would not say that the grammar was "poor" but as we all are, you are free to your own interpretations and are free to express yourself. I would just suggest, that in the future, you phrase things in a more delicate way, at least around here. Smile
N.Augusta
N.Augusta
Adept
Adept

Back to top Go down

Post by Hierophant 26.07.11 10:44

N.Augusta wrote:I know what you mean! I have noticed those types of errors as well. Bringing up such an issue is no big deal; those errors do, in fact, exist, and this is an issue which previously has been mentioned here. Some folks are real sticklers for grammar (not saying you are) but at the same time, we need grammar sticklers out there to help keep the English language in tact. I admit that I become annoyed when I see grammatical errors in newspapers, magazines and books, as well as with online news articles. Now mind you, my grammar is not the greatest. Wink

You did nothing wrong by mentioning this issue. You are, after all, sharing part of your experience with it, and we really do like people to share their experiences. It is a beautiful book, and it was very well written, despite those little errors. It is the quality and content that matters. What you have in your hands is a very special gem. Smile I truly hope that your experience with it will be as enriching for you as it has been for so many of us.

I just wanted to discuss something I observed, for sure. If people get defensive, that's more their projection. It wasn't my intention to 'troll'.

I am a stickler for that stuff, but my wife is better than me and she picks things up I do wrong!

Here is my thought on this. I think 'English' is the author's second language. I think he probably should have employed a native English speaker to be an editor.

I know the book is self published, so an editor is not always available, especially a 'professional' editor.

Hierophant
Outsider
Outsider

Back to top Go down

Post by N.Augusta 26.07.11 11:16

I did not take your intentions to be bad, you too are here to learn. We are all here to learn, share, express, debate, and help one another. Smile

I just have to say, that I am happy that it was published in English, otherwise, I would not have read it. Wink I think a couple actually started learning English so they could read it, and that is wonderful!

One correction, though, the book was not self-published. There is an old thread about the publishing of the AB, which may be of interest to you.

https://www.vampirismforum.com/t204-aset-ka-s-private-publishing-company#2155
N.Augusta
N.Augusta
Adept
Adept

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan 26.07.11 12:30

The book might have an original version written in Portuguese, but if that is true it is not public knowledge and such text is not accessible outside of the Aset Ka's inner library.

I don't see it as poor grammar, although some of the phrasing is a little odd sometimes.

N.Augusta is also correct, as the book is not self-published. The Aset Ka, besides being an occult order, is also a licensed book publisher with international distribution in several countries.

Talibah and Kate both brought up an interesting point to the discussion. Some apparent issues with grammar and language might be intentional, as the book itself states that there will be intentional errors with hidden occult and metaphysical impact. Discussing such details would be mere speculation as we don't have further information.

I also believe the author is not a native English speaker, but due to the high level of his language skills demonstrated on Twitter, I don't doubt much of his grammar. Even if it is not intentional, for someone that supposedly speaks so many different languages, a few typos here and there are more than acceptable. After all, most of us only speak a single language fluently or another one at best. So being fluent in so many languages surely is a great achievement.

I was once told that the Asetians never use professional editors in their works, as they want the energy to remain pure and true to the creator artist. Another special and unique detail of Asetian artwork. I am not sure if this is true, but in case it is, it would actually make a lot of sense metaphysically and spiritually, and at least in my eyes, it would make such mistakes quite beautiful and powerful in their own right.
Jonathan
Jonathan
Master
Master

Number of posts : 3046
Registration date : 2008-06-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Kalb 26.07.11 15:08

I agree with you Talibah.
Kalb
Kalb
Expert
Expert

Number of posts : 1280
Registration date : 2009-10-28

http://twitter.com/#!/st7lk3r

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel09 27.07.11 23:06

I think that the stability of the grammar depends on what kind of English you are perceiving the Asetian Bible with. I find that what Mr. Marques wrote was quite understandable. The only noticeable thing was that he enjoyed using a great deal of commas in order to stretch a single idea into one single sentence.
Daniel09
Daniel09
Expert
Expert

Number of posts : 850
Registration date : 2009-01-17

Back to top Go down

Post by sungodaurora 28.07.11 5:19

“An authority in religion and ancient symbolism, the author presents us with the inner secrets of the Elders hidden behind the beauty of his words and cryptically inspiring text..."

For everyone else... the Order will never exist.”

Taken straight from the web site http://www.asetka.org/index.shtml
sungodaurora
sungodaurora
Outsider
Outsider

Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2009-05-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Shemset 28.07.11 8:32

Because of my not-so-good english I'm not able to see all these errors, haha.
But there's no doubt that it was written in this way for a reason.

Daniel09 wrote:The only noticeable thing was that he enjoyed using a great deal of commas in order to stretch a single idea into one single sentence.

It's a custom of the portuguese language use so many commas.
Shemset
Shemset
Beginner
Beginner

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2010-11-01

Back to top Go down

Post by AndreiaLi 02.08.11 17:25

Are you so desperate to get attention? that you need to use grammar as a subject to get attention? I would like to see how is your grammar in other languages that are not your native ones.
AndreiaLi
AndreiaLi
Insider
Insider

Number of posts : 149
Registration date : 2010-04-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel09 02.08.11 17:37

AndreiaLi wrote:Are you so desperate to get attention? that you need to use grammar as a subject to get attention? I would like to see how is your grammar in other languages that are not your native ones.

No need to get flippant, AndreiaLi. If someone upsets you, it is better to ignore him/her rather than give them the attention you think he/she is seeking.
Daniel09
Daniel09
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan 02.08.11 19:05

Andreia, I think he is entitled to his opinion, as long as he explains it in a respectful way.

Grammar is indeed secondary when compared to the content, layers and depth of an occult book, particularly one on spirituality. But like I explained in my previous post in this thread, those details he considers poor grammar can be pure metaphysical beauty if you understand what I have explained. Something very special, not bad at all. Smile

Maybe it's a beauty only for some to see and few to feel.
Jonathan
Jonathan
Master
Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Talibah 03.08.11 1:23

Asking questions is always a good way of obtaining answers. But sometimes, we can become so intent on creating those questions, that we loose sight of what we actually wanted to understand in the first place...thus, paradoxically, moving further away from any answer.

Some questions are there to be asked out loud and discussed and pondered over. This is healthy, and an excellent way to bond together those who share a common interest. But some, are for inward contemplation. It is worth taking the time to discover the secrets behind this I think.

Talibah
Talibah
Insider
Insider

Number of posts : 287
Registration date : 2008-08-17

Back to top Go down

Post by AndreiaLi 03.08.11 11:08

I know I understood after I posted I got a bit carried away. I apologize.
AndreiaLi
AndreiaLi
Insider
Insider

Number of posts : 149
Registration date : 2010-04-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan 03.08.11 11:17

AndreiaLi wrote:I know I understood after I posted I got a bit carried away. I apologize.
No need to apologize. I understand and respect your passion over this subject. Smile
Jonathan
Jonathan
Master
Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Akh -Ba 09.08.11 13:26

Good to see so many thoughts around this. Im not a god speller either but i think its better not to judge by words but just read and understand the teachings in the AB. and not be caught up by grammar mistakes. who knows maybe it is not mistakes at all but, just an spiritual uplift if you can get the meaning of the sentence right..

Im just saying this to take the topic at the border; that maybe the analphabets have an upper hand when they read it...............

Just adding my thoughts too.

Akh -Ba

Akh -Ba
Akh -Ba
Outsider
Outsider

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2010-10-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Hierophant 20.08.11 7:56

I just wanted to clarify, that it was only an observation.

I was not trying to infer the metaphysical knowledge imparted was in error or inferior.

They say the Koran is the most beautiful and poetic book of the Arabic language. But Mohammed was illiterate. He simply relayed the verses and scribes wrote them down.

There is no shame in employing editors, or improving the language. Perhaps they can release a 2nd edition in future.

Hierophant
Outsider
Outsider

Back to top Go down

Post by Daniel09 20.08.11 8:07

Hierophant wrote:I just wanted to clarify, that it was only an observation.

I was not trying to infer the metaphysical knowledge imparted was in error or inferior.

They say the Koran is the most beautiful and poetic book of the Arabic language. But Mohammed was illiterate. He simply relayed the verses and scribes wrote them down.

There is no shame in employing editors, or improving the language. Perhaps they can release a 2nd edition in future.

It is referenced within the book that there will be follow-up versions.
Daniel09
Daniel09
Expert
Expert

Back to top Go down

Post by Xedoc 29.08.11 19:04

Not all the people interesting in the Aset Ka Bible are borned in countries which english is the first language. I'm from Portugal living in France and as you can see none of these countries use English. Luis Marques didn't use poor grammar, he just used the right grammer to people who are not especialized in English. Like me Smile. I understand english, i read english, i write english. There are a lot of words that i need to translate, if i have had to translate all the book thanks to the rich grammer i would be fucked up. Smile

Luis words are incredible, he is the best writter in the world in my opinion and i'm not saying this just because he is an Asetian, i would say the same thing even if he was human.

He's just perfect!
Xedoc
Xedoc
Beginner
Beginner

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2008-09-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down